This week in our "Love Quest" study we learned that The 10 Commandments were actually Statements not Commandments.
Each of the 10 were given to teach us more about LOVE!
God knew that guidelines must be followed to promote healthy relationships, happiness, and ultimately LOVE.
He chose to share those guidelines on 2 stone tablets.
We began this study 6 weeks ago with a GREAT definition of LOVE.
Let's take a few minutes to review:
This is the “litmus test” of love. If someone truly loves you…
1. They will give to you even when you are in no position to repay.
When you do good for those who can do good for you, that’s not love; that’s networking! Love requires giving to someone with no thought of how it might be repaid. Love can never be repaid. Love can only be freely given and freely received.
2. They will work to heal your old wounds and protect you from new wounds.
If you love someone, you must be the one who wipes away their tears, not the one who causes them! Love promotes healing for the past, peace for the present and protection for the future.
3. They will accept you at your worst while helping you become your best.
If someone really loves you, they won’t try to change you, but they also won’t let you settle for anything less that all God created you to be. Real love means being completely committed to someone even when they are being completely unlovable. If someone really loves you, they’ll believe in you even in those moments when you struggle to believe in yourself.
4. They will NEVER give up on you!
Love is rooted in commitment, not convenience. Love is a choice, not a feeling. If someone really loves you, their commitment to you will endure through any circumstances life throws your way.
God displays His love for us by doing each of these four actions, and He calls us to do the same for each other. If you’re not sure how begin. Here’s love in a nutshell (straight from the source):
“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.”1 Corinthians 13:4-7
We all YEARN to be loved
In order to be LOVED- we need to be LOVING ourselves!
God demonstrates His love to each one of His children and fulfills each one of the LOVE requirements in the Love Test above...
If we want to be loving, we must learn from the LOVE GURU Himself, God!!
Look at this list of The 10 Commandments one more time...
- You shall have no other gods before Me.
- You shall not make idols.
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet.
The 10 Commandments SHOW us how to have a relationship FIRST with God and THEN with our fellow man. Both types of relationships are important! BOTH are centered on common ideas: trust, honor, and faithfulness!
When you seek a LOVE relationship with another person don't you NEED those 3 things (trust, honor, faithfulness)?
God is helping us "weed out" the people who cannot provide us "healthy" relationships.
He is giving us guidelines not only for us to follow but also to USE.
We will be more able to see a person's TRUE HEART by noticing how they do following these 10 statements!
1. If a person does not honor and respect God, do you really think they will honor and respect you??!!??
2. What would you consider a "healthy" relationship? What are some basic truths that it is built on?
3. If someone you love broke one of the 10 commandments against YOU- would your relationship with that person suffer?
4. Is there anything in this life that brings you more happiness than LOVING relationships?
5. What insights did you learn about God and His commandments from this lesson?